Skip to main content

Travel Insurance FAQs

Can I purchase cover if I live outside Ireland?

No, we’re sorry, but you and all other persons insured must be currently residing in the Republic of Ireland and must have lived here for at least six of the last 12 months. We define a resident as someone who has been a permanent resident of the Republic of Ireland for the past 6 months prior to the date of purchase.

How do I get my policy document?

Your policy document will be emailed to you after purchase. However, in the event you require your documents to be resent, please call our customer service team on 091 501677 or email us

Who can I talk to?

If you have any queries, just call our customer service team on 091 501 677.

Should I carry a copy of my policy with me when travelling?

We advise that you take your travel insurance certificate and the relevant policy wording booklet away with you.

You may travel with a printed copy of your emailed documents. If you are unable to print your emailed documents, simply write down your policy number and the emergency medical assistance and claims line telephone numbers from the back of our policy wording booklets. 


Can I cancel my trip for any reason and get all my money back?


The Cancellation benefit is subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the policy. 


I have a medical condition. Can I buy your policy?

You will need to inform us of any pre-existing medical conditions you have before purchasing a policy or of any which occurs between the date the policy is incepted and the date of departure. To do so, you can use our quick and easy online medical screening system when purchasing your policy, or you can call us on 091 501 677.

Can I change my mind after I purchase this travel Insurance?

You are entitled to a 14-working day cooling-off period, if you contact us within this cooling-off period, you are entitled to a full refund of your travel insurance policy, provided you have not travelled or made any claims on the policy. To cancel your travel insurance and claim your refund, you will need to contact us in writing or by e-mail. 

To cancel by e-mail, send your request to

To cancel by post, send a letter to: Customer Service Department, MAPFRE ASSISTANCE Agency Ireland, 22-26 Prospect Hill, Galway

What age categories and benefits apply to children?

To talk through your options, please call us on 091 501 677 for further information.

Must children be accompanied by their parents to qualify for cover?

No, however, children under 18 who travel alone must be dropped off and picked up by a responsible adult aged over 21.

What is the maximum length of time a Single Trip policy covers?

If you are aged 65 or under, you are covered for a single holiday or journey of up to 365 days, beginning and ending in Ireland. We will only cover you for up to 31 days for each Trip if you are aged 66 and over.

Will my Annual Multi-Trip policy renew automatically?

We will aim to automatically renew your cover when it runs out unless you tell us not to. Each year we will notify you in writing at least 20 working days before the renewal date of your cover. In some cases, we may not be able to automatically renew your cover and we will let you know at the time if this is the case. If you do not want us to auto-renew your cover, call us on 091 501 677.

What is the maximum length of a trip on an Annual Multi-Trip policy covers?

You’re covered so long as any one period of travel doesn’t exceed, 31 days for Bronze policies, 45 days for Gold policies, and 60 days for Platinum policies. If you are aged 66 and over, the maximum trip duration is 31 days on a Platinum policy. The period of travel must start and finish in the Republic of Ireland.

Who do I contact if there’s a medical emergency?

You can call our medical emergency line at +353 91 501 674. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What is an excess and how much is this?

This is the amount you must pay towards certain claims. This amount is per person and per section. This amount will be shown in the Schedule of Cover outlined in the beginning of Your policy.

Am I covered for scuba diving?

Scuba diving is covered free on all our travel insurance policies for up to 14 days, provided you are qualified and that you will be diving no deeper than 30 metres. If you are not a qualified scuba diver or are qualified but will be diving more than 30 metres, you will need to pay an additional premium for each day you will be scuba diving. To add this cover on to your travel insurance policy, please call our Customer Service Department on 091 501 677.

Am I covered if I go skiing?

You are only covered for Skiing if you purchase the Winter sports cover.

We cover all the following activities in our winter sports travel insurance: 

• Cat skiing 
• Cross-country skiing 
• Glacier walking or trekking 
• Ice skating 
• Mono skiing  
• Off-piste skiing 
• Off-piste snowboarding 
• Recreational ski or snowboard racing  
• Skiing  
• Snowboarding  
• Snowmobiling  
• Tobogganing 

While taking part in off-piste skiing and snowboarding, you must make sure that the areas in which you ski or snowboard are considered to be safe by the resort management.

Was this article helpful?

We love your feedback, please suggest how we could improve this information?