Skip to main content

Making a Change to my Policy

I am moving home. What do I need to do?

For Home Insurance Customers

If you are moving house, you will need to cancel the current policy and set up a new policy for your new home. Unlike Car Insurance, it is not possible to transfer your Home Insurance from one property to another.

To cancel your Home Insurance policy, simply call us on 01-524 6029 and let us know the date you want it cancelled from. 

If you are emailing this to us, it will need to come from the email address on your policy and be registered in your own name.

Once this is received, we will cancel the policy.

  • If you are cancelling outside your 14 day cooling off period, you will be charged a 25 cancellation fee and for the number of days on cover.
  • If you pay by direct debit, the service charge is non-refundable if we have applied for the first installment.

You will not be charged a cancellation fee if you are setting up your new home policy with us.

Note: If you had a claim during the insurance year, no refund will be due.

If you hold a policy for a let property or holiday home with and you are moving home, you can give us the details of your new address by phone on 01-524 6029 or email at and we can update your postal address.

Was this article helpful?

We love your feedback, please suggest how we could improve this information?