Skip to main content

Making a Change to my Policy

How do I arrange a temporary change of car?

For Car Insurance Customers

If your own car is off the road for any reason or you are looking to borrow a car, you can organise a temporary transfer of insurance. You can do this for a maximum of 37 days in the policy year. This can now be done through your My123.

We can only insure one car at a time so we will have to remove the existing car from the policy and add the temporary car in its place. This means that neither you nor any of your named drivers can drive your own car during the time of the transfer.

The borrowed car will have the same level of cover that is on your policy and will cover any named drivers.

When you call we will need to confirm the following car details with you:

  • Registration
  • Make, model & style
  • Exact engine capacity
  • Value of the car
  • Date & time of transfer

The borrowed car will have to meet certain criteria in order to be put on cover; you will need to make sure that the following are all true:

  • •    The vehicle has not been modified from the standard specification in any way
    •    The vehicle is a right hand drive
    •    The vehicle has a valid NCT (if applicable)
    •    The vehicle is not used for hire or reward
    •    The vehicle cover is not provided by the insurance policy of the garage or vehicle repairer 

If you do not meet the above criteria please contact our Customer Care team who can go through the options available to you.

If the car you are looking to swap to temporarily has an engine size of 2000cc or less; the cover needed is less than 7 days & has been provided by a garage or vehicle repairer, then you do not need to process anything. Further information can be found here.

Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply.

Customer Care:

Please note: The policyholder may have the option of using their Driving of Others Cars extension. You can find further information on this benefit here.

Was this article helpful?

We love your feedback, please suggest how we could improve this information?